Adult Dependant Visa

As the parent, grandparent, sibling or adult child of a British Citizen, you can apply for permission to reside in the UK under exceptional circumstances. Contact our team to find out how we can assist you.

Who can apply for a UK Adult Dependant Visa?

The adult dependant visa allows an adult dependant to join their family in the UK for an unlimited period, as long as the relative is a British Citizen, has settled status in the UK, has refugee status or humanitarian protection in the UK. 

We pride ourselves on being friendly and motivated in understanding and meeting our client’s requirements. We are highly driven and committed to providing clear and reliable immigration advice to you as part of a professional and accessible service.

The requirements of a UK Adult Dependant Visa are:

Relationship to sponsor

The adult dependant applicant must be at least 18 years of age and either one of the following:

  • parent

  • grandparent

  • brother or sister

  • son or daughter

If the applicant is the sponsor’s parent or grandparent they must not be in a subsisting relationship with a partner unless that partner is also the sponsor’s parent or grandparent and is applying for entry clearance at the same time as the applicant.

If you are granted an Adult Dependant Relative visa under the Immigration Rules then you will be permitted to enter, and remain in the UK indefinitely.

To discuss your immigration application with an experienced adviser, contact our friendly and professional team at +442087575751 or use our contact form

Sponsor’s status in the UK 

The UK sponsor must at the date of application be 18 years of age or over and either one of the following:

  • a British Citizen in the UK; or

  • present and settled in the UK; or

  • in the UK with refugee leave or humanitarian protection.


The adult dependant applicant or, (if the applicant and their partner are the sponsor’s parents or grandparents) the applicant’s partner, must also as a result of age, illness or disability require long-term personal care to perform everyday tasks.

Additionally, the applicant must provide extensive medical, identification and information records in support of the application.

Sponsor’s Financial Requirements

The adult dependant applicant or, if the applicant and their partner are the sponsor’s parents or grandparents, the applicant’s partner, must be unable, even with the practical and financial help of the sponsor, to obtain the required level of care in the country where they are living, because:

  • it is not available and there is no person in that country who can reasonably provide it; or

  • it is not affordable.

The Sponsor will be required to provide a signed undertaking confirming that they are able to support, accommodate and care for the applicant claiming public funds for at least 5 years.

Will I need to pass an English Language Test (IELTS) to apply for a Dependant Visa UK?

No – you are not required to apply for an IELTS Language test if applying to be cared for by a relative in the UK, using this visa.

Can children born in the UK over the age of 18 apply in this category?

Your parent can only include you in their application as a dependant if you:

  • got permission to come to or stay in the UK (‘leave to enter or remain’) on a family visa when you were under 18
  • do not live an independent life
  • are applying from inside the U

You’re living an independent life if, for example, you’ve left home, got married and had children.

Can children born outside the UK over the age of 18 apply in this category?

Your parent can include you in their application as a dependant, or you can apply separately yourself. You can only apply if you:

  • got permission to stay in the UK (‘leave to remain’) on a family visa when you were under 18

  • do not live an independent life

If your parent cannot include you in their form and you’re in the UK, you may be eligible to apply for Private Life in the UK (10-year route).

What are the evidential requirements for a UK Adult Dependant Visa?

The UK Adult Dependant Visa documentary requirements of this category are quite elaborate and we strongly recommend you seek the guidance of an experienced and qualified immigration advisor.

You will be required to demonstrate the following:

  • Evidence of the family relationship between the applicant(s) and the sponsor should take form of birth or adoption certificates or other documentary evidence

  • Evidence that, as a result of age, illness or disability, the applicant requires long-term personal care should take the form of:

  • Independent medical evidence that the applicant’s physical or mental condition means that they cannot perform everyday tasks; and

  • This must be from a doctor or other health professional.

  • Independent evidence that the applicant is unable, even with the practical and financial help of the sponsor in the UK, to obtain the required level of care in the country where they are living should be from:

  • a central or local health authority;

  • a local authority; or

  • a doctor or other health professional.

  • If the applicant’s required care has previously been provided through a private arrangement, the applicant must provide details of that arrangement and why it is no longer available.

  • If the applicant’s required level of care is not, or is no longer, affordable because payment previously made for arranging this care is no longer being made, the applicant must provide records of that payment and an explanation of why that payment cannot continue. If financial support has been provided by the sponsor or other close family in the UK, the applicant must provide an explanation of why this cannot continue or is no longer sufficient to enable the required level of care to be provided.


Additionally,  the Home Office has the power to refer the applicant for medical examination and to require that this be undertaken by a doctor or other health professional on a list approved by the British Embassy or High Commission.

The applicant must provide evidence from the sponsor that the sponsor can provide the maintenance, accommodation and care required, in the form of any or all of the following:

  • Bank statements covering the last six months;

  • Other evidence of income – such as pay slips, income from savings, shares, bonds – covering the last six months;

  • Relevant information on outgoings, e.g. Council Tax, utilities, etc, and on support for anyone else who is dependent on the sponsor;

  • A copy of a mortgage or tenancy agreement showing ownership or occupancy of a property; and

  • Planned care arrangements for the applicant in the UK (which can involve other family members in the UK) and the cost of these (which must be met by the sponsor, without undertakings of third party support).

What happens after my application is successful?

Successful applicants sponsored by a British citizen or settled person will be given indefinite leave to enter. Furthermore, they will have no recourse to public funds for the length of the sponsor’s undertaking (i.e. five years from the date of entry).

Those sponsored by a relative with limited leave as a refugee or person with humanitarian protection will be granted leave in line, and can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain at the same time as the sponsor.

The sponsor will not need to provide an undertaking on entry, but the applicant will have no recourse to public funds as a condition of entry. The 5-year sponsorship undertaking will have to be signed by the sponsor at the Indefinite Leave to Remain stage.

Why choose Whytecroft Ford for your Immigration application?

Free 15-Minute Assessment

We offer a 15 minutes free immigration advice UK session to assess your eligibility for an immigration application. We can then advise you on the best course of action.

No Hidden Charges & Fixed Fees

We will clearly outline all fees associated with your application so that you can make an informed decision. There are no surprises during the application process.

Highly Rated Services

Whytecroft Ford has a long-standing reputation as an Excellent immigration firm. Our Immigration services are highly rated on Trustpilot and Google. 

OISC Approved

We are regulated to a high service standard by the Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner, UK, assuring our clients that we offer a quality service.

Secure Remote Services

We use secure technology to process your UK Immigration Application. Our remote services mean you can easily access our team from the comfort of your own home.

Experienced Professionals

Our expert immigration advisors have many years of experience and have successfully assisted individuals and families to migrate and live in the UK.

How can Whytecroft Ford help you?

For expert UK Immigration guidance, our professional team provides tailored assessments with no obligations. We specialize in personalized advice, designed to suit your situation.

Reach out to us to explore your immigration options:

Our team is here to help you in person, on the phone or online.

Immigration Services

With years of experience in the field and extensive knowledge of UK law and regulations, you can trust our highly driven team to provide clear, concise and reliable immigration advice and services.

Detailed Consultation

Discuss your concerns and receive detailed advice from a qualified immigration adviser.

Document Checklist

Detailed document list and templates required in your immigration application.

Application Checking

In-depth review of your application and written feedback from an experienced immigration adviser.

Full Representation

A dedicated and experienced immigration adviser will manage your application process. 

Fast Track Application

A dedicated caseworker will prepare and submit your application on priority within 24 hours.