UK Child Student Visa
Children between the ages of 4-17 years old who intend to study in an independent school in the UK for at least six months can apply for the UK Child Student Visa.
This visa will need to be applied for from the child’s country of residence.
The applicant must show that they have been accepted onto a course at an independent, fee-paying school. They must also have written consent from their parent or legal guardian.
Proof of appropriate living funds, which cover the child’s study period in the UK must be provided. In addition, identification documents and a lengthy application form must also be submitted.
The child will be permitted to stay for the entire duration of their course and up to four months after your course finishes. After this, they will need to leave the UK unless they have applied to extend their stay or switched to another immigration category.
If you are a student aged over 16 or 17 who wants to study in the UK for more than six months you can apply for a Tier 4 (General) Student Visa.
Child Student Visa UK Rules
The Child must:
- have an unconditional offer of a place on a course at an independent school
- be able to show you’ll have access to enough money to support yourself in the UK and pay for your course
- have the consent of your parent or guardian to study in the UK – you’ll need to prove this when you apply.
The earliest you can apply from outside the UK is 6 months before your course starts. If the student is already in the UK, then an application can be made 3 months before the course starts before the expiration of their existing visa. And the new course must begin within 28 days of their current visa expiring.
The duration of the visa will be based on the student’s age, date of application and length of the course.
If the student is under 16 at the time of application, they may stay for up to 6 years and 4 months.
If over the age of 16, they may stay up to 3 years and 4 months.
UK Child Student Visa Application Documents
When you apply for your Child Student visa you must provide:
- a current passport or other valid travel documentation
- a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) from your course provider
- written consent from your parent or legal guardian for your study in the UK
- proof that you have enough money to support yourself and pay for your course – this will vary depending on your circumstances
- proof of your relationship to your parent or guardian (for example a birth certificate or other government-issued document showing their names)
- evidence of the qualifications you used to get a place on your course – if this was required by your course provider
- your tuberculosis (TB) test results
- written consent for your application from your financial sponsor if you’ve received sponsorship for your course fees and living costs in the last 12 months
What you cannot do on a Child Student Visa UK
- study at an academy or a local authority-funded school (also known as a maintained school) or further or higher education institution
- get public funds from the UK government
- take a full-time permanent job or be self-employed
- work as a professional sportsperson (for example a sports coach) or entertainer
- apply for settlement
- bring family members (‘dependants’) – if a parent wants to accompany you, they’ll need to apply for a Parent of a Child Student visa visa
After you’ve applied
You’ll be contacted if your application is complex and will take longer, for example, because:
- your supporting documents need to be verified
- you need to attend an interview (if you’re 16 or 17)
- of your personal circumstances (for example if you have a criminal conviction)
How can Whytecroft Ford help you?
For expert UK Immigration guidance, our professional team provides tailored assessments with no obligations. We specialize in personalized advice, designed to suit your situation.
Reach out to us to explore your immigration options:
- Call +442087575751 to speak with us, or
- Email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or
- Fill in our contact form, and our team will get in touch with you.
Our team is here to help you in person, on the phone or online.
Why choose Whytecroft Ford for your UK Immigration Application?
Free 15-Minute Assessment
We offer a 15 minutes free immigration advice UK session to assess your eligibility for an immigration application. We can then advise you on the best course of action and provide detailed information about our full representation service.
No Hidden Charges & Fixed Fees
We will clearly outline all fees associated with your application so that you can make an informed decision. There are no surprises during the application process.
Highly Rated Services
Whytecroft Ford has a long-standing reputation as an Excellent immigration firm. Our Immigration services are highly rated on Trustpilot and Google.
We are regulated to a high service standard by the Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner, UK, assuring our clients that we offer a quality service.
Secure Remote Services
We use secure technology to process your UK Immigration Application. Our remote services mean you can easily access our team from the comfort of your own home.
Our expert immigration advisors have many years of experience and have successfully assisted individuals and families to migrate and live in the UK.