Unmarried Partner Visa

If you have lived with your partner for at least 2 years, you may apply for the right to live and work alongside your unmarried partner in the UK.

Contact our experienced immigration team for a free assessment.

What our clients say

What is an Unmarried Partner Visa?

The Unmarried Partner visa category is for long-term Non-EU partners of British citizens or permanently settled individuals, who wish to join, live and work with their partner in the UK. You can also apply if your partner is outside the UK and intends to return to the UK with you. 

When evaluating applications in this category, UKVI will look at each case on its individual merits. There are requirements to establish the genuineness of the relationship before your application can be accepted.

One of the main differences between a Married Partner Visa application and an Unmarried Partner visa application is the requirement to prove that the unmarried partners have been in a genuine and subsisting relationship for at least 2 years.

Unmarried Partner Visa Application

Before applying you must ensure that you meet the requirements of the UK Unmarried Partner visa category. Refusals are often the result of missing documents or a mistake on the form. Applicants may fulfil the requirements in different ways, therefore it is highly recommended to get professional advice. 

We can assist you with your Unmarried Partner Visa by advising you on the requirements and how you can meet them, by preparing your documentary evidence portfolio and completing the application form in the correct manner. Fill in our online contact form for a free assessment today.

Unmarried Partner Visa Rules

In order to qualify for a UK Unmarried Partner visa you will need to satisfy UK Visas and Immigration that you meet the following requirements:

  • Your partner is a British Citizen, holds Indefinite Leave to Remain or Permanent Residence under the EEA Regulations
  • You are both over the age of 18
  • You have met in person and have lived together in a relationship akin to marriage or civil partnership for at least 2 years
  • Your relationship is genuine and you intend to live together permanently
  • Any previous relationships have broken down permanently
  • You will be adequately maintained in the UK without recourse to public funds
  • There is adequate accommodation for you and any dependents
  • You speak and understand English to the required level.

Minimum Income Requirement

In order to demonstrate that you can be adequately maintained in the UK without recourse to public funds, you will need to satisfy a financial requirement.

The financial requirement for a UK Unmarried Partner visa application states that you will need to demonstrate that your partner (or both of you jointly if you are in the UK with valid leave to remain) has a gross annual income of at least:

  • £18,600, plus
  • £3,800 for a first child, plus
  • £2,400 for each additional child

The increased financial threshold applies to children who are not British, settled or an EEA national.

Relationship Evidence Unmarried Partner Visa UK

You can meet the Unmarried Partner visa UK financial requirement through a number of ways, including salaried and non-salaried income, self-employed income, salary and/or dividends from a company of which you are a director, property rental income, dividends and income from investments, stocks, shares, bonds or trust funds, pension income, insurance payment and/or maintenance payments. 

Any cash savings above £16,000 can be shown, but only if they have been held for at least six months unless you can demonstrate that they have come from the sale of property or investments within the last 6 months.

In some circumstances, it is possible to rely on a combination of the above sources of income to satisfy the financial requirement.

Different considerations will apply if your partner is in receipt of certain benefits.

Unmarried Partner Visa Supporting Documentation

The documentary evidence that you submit along with your application will depend on how you meet the requirements. UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) officials look for the following documents in your application submission:

  • Your current passport or other travel documents
  • Your parent’s date of birth and nationality
  • Your National Insurance number 
  • Proof of your accommodation in the UK
  • Evidence of meeting the financial requirement, for example wage slips and corresponding bank statements showing your income from employment
  • Your sponsor’s British passport or Indefinite Leave to remain documents
  • Evidence of how you met and how often you see each other
  • Evidence of living together, such as utility bills
  • Details of any children who are also coming to the UK
  • Details of the countries outside the UK you’ve lived in and visited.
  • Details of any criminal convictions, if applicable

Processing Time

A well-prepared visa application may result in a quicker processing time. The standard processing time is up to 24 weeks. Depending on availability, you may opt for priority services to receive a decision within 30 working days.

If you apply to switch into or extend your stay as an Unmarried Partner from within the UK, you will be able to choose from two processing timelines. If you apply via the Standard Service, your in-country application will normally be decided within 8 weeks. If you apply via the Priority Service, you should normally receive a decision on the next working day after providing your biometric information. 

How much does a UK Unmarried Partner visa application cost?

The Home Office application fee for a UK Unmarried Partner visa application submitted outside the UK is currently £1,846.

The fee to switch into the Unmarried Partner category from within the UK or extend stay as an Unmarried Partner is currently £1,048.

To make a valid application, applicants must also pay the immigration healthcare surcharge (IHS). The IHS fee is £1,035 per year.

What is the UK Unmarried Partner visa validity period?

Initially, a UK Unmarried Partner visa will be valid for 33 months. 

Before your initial grant of leave expires, you will need to apply to UK Visas and Immigration to extend your stay.  If your application for further leave to remain as an Unmarried Partner in the UK is successful then you will be granted further leave to remain for a period of 30 months.

After spending 5 years in the UK as the Unmarried Partner of a British citizen or settled person, you will be eligible to apply for indefinite leave to remain.

Can I work on a UK Unmarried Partner Visa?

Unmarried partner visa holders benefit from having the full right to both work and study whilst staying in the UK with their long-term partner.

Why choose Whytecroft Ford for your Immigration application?

Free 15-Minute Assessment

We offer a 15 minutes free immigration advice UK session to assess your eligibility for an immigration application. We can then advise you on the best course of action.

No Hidden Charges & Fixed Fees

We will clearly outline all fees associated with your application so that you can make an informed decision. There are no surprises during the application process.

Highly Rated Services

Whytecroft Ford has a long-standing reputation as an Excellent immigration firm. Our Immigration services are highly rated on Trustpilot and Google. 

OISC Approved

We are regulated to a high service standard by the Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner, UK, assuring our clients that we offer a quality service.

Secure Remote Services

We use secure technology to process your UK Immigration Application. Our remote services mean you can easily access our team from the comfort of your own home.

Experienced Professionals

Our expert immigration advisors have many years of experience and have successfully assisted individuals and families to migrate and live in the UK.

How can Whytecroft Ford help you?

For expert UK Immigration guidance, our professional team provides tailored assessments with no obligations. We specialize in personalized advice, designed to suit your situation.

Reach out to us to explore your immigration options:

Our team is here to help you in person, on the phone or online.

Immigration Services

With years of experience in the field and extensive knowledge of UK law and regulations, you can trust our highly driven team to provide clear, concise and reliable immigration advice and services.

Detailed Consultation

Discuss your concerns and receive detailed advice from a qualified immigration adviser.

Document Checklist

Detailed document list and templates required in your immigration application.

Application Checking

In-depth review of your application and written feedback from an experienced immigration adviser.

Full Representation

A dedicated and experienced immigration adviser will manage your application process. 

Fast Track Application

A dedicated caseworker will prepare and submit your application on priority within 24 hours.