Police Registration Scheme Abolished

by | Nov 8, 2022 | Further Leave to Remain, Skilled Worker, Student Visa, UK Immigration

From 4 August 2022 onwards, the Government decided to abolish the Police Registration Scheme. You no longer need to register with the UK police after you arrive in the UK, whether you applied for a visa from outside the UK or have extended your leave from within the UK.

The police registration scheme has been a part of the UK’s immigration system for many years. Under the scheme all foreign nationals were required to register their address with the police. However, since 2015, almost all non-European foreign nationals moving to the United Kingdom have been required to obtain a biometric residence permit and report changes of address online.

The Home Office explained the basis for abolishing the Police Registration Scheme in their latest Statement of Changes. The reason being that the same data that was being collected by the police is now already captured electronically by the Home Office at the visa application stage. Furthermore, wider changes to the immigration system means that more individuals are screened before travel to the UK so those of concern can be identified earlier in their interaction with the Home Office. Therefore, there is little need for the police to collect the same data after a person has already entered the UK.

Frequently asked questions

Do I need to register with the Police if I already have an appointment?

You do not need to go to your appointment, or pay to register. If you’ve already paid the £34 registration fee, you will not get a refund.

What do I do if I have already registered with the Police?

The requirement will fall away for those who have already registered, any changes, including address should be communicated to the Home Office directly at https://www.gov.uk/change-circumstances-visa-brp

If I have already registered, am I still required to notify the police of any changes?

No. You are no longer required to comply with the terms of the scheme or report any changes of circumstance to the police.

Do I need my Police Registration Certificate for future visa applications?

When applying for permission to stay in the UK you will no longer be required to produce your police registration certificate. Furthermore, you will not be required to produce the certificate to a police officer or an immigration officer.

What Our Clients Say

Request a FREE assessment from our experts

Receive your assessment via:

Privacy Policy

Youth Mobility Scheme Visa FAQs

Youth Mobility Scheme Visa FAQs

The Youth Mobility Scheme Visa is for young adults from specific countries who wish to experience life in the UK. In this post, we discuss the...
Apply for a UK Visa from the USA

Apply for a UK Visa from the USA

The USA is considered a non-visa national country, meaning US citizens do not need to apply for a visitor visa before travelling to the UK. While...
Citizenship Ceremony UK

UK Citizenship Ceremonies

Becoming a British citizen is a significant milestone that comes with rights, responsibilities, and a sense of belonging to a community. The...
British Citizenship by Marriage

British Citizenship by Marriage FAQs

Embarking on the journey to secure British citizenship through marriage involves understanding the intricacies of the application process. This blog...
Family Immigration Success Stories

Family Immigration Success Stories

Whytecroft Ford has been providing expert assistance to clients from all around the world who seek to join and remain with their spouses, civil...