Replace a lost or damaged UK Naturalisation Certificate

by | Mar 24, 2023 | British Citizenship, Naturalisation, UK Immigration

A naturalisation or registration certificate is a document issued by the UK government to foreign nationals who have successfully applied for and been granted British citizenship. This certificate is an important piece of identification that proves a person’s citizenship status, and as such, it should be kept safe and secure.

However, there are times when a naturalisation certificate may become lost or damaged, and in such cases, it will need to be replaced. This article outlines the process for replacing a lost or damaged British naturalisation certificate. 

How you apply for a replacement certificate will depend on when you were granted British Citizenship. You cannot get a replacement certificate from UKVI if you became a British citizen before October 1986.

You became a British citizen after 30 September 1986

If you were granted citizenship after 30 September 1986, you can apply to replace your lost or damaged certificate by filling out an online form NC. The online application will cost £250. 

If you live in the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man, a British overseas territory or elsewhere, you must apply in person or by post instead

If your naturalisation certificate was stolen, you must inform the police. 

You became a British citizen on or before 30 September 1986

Unfortunately, it is not possible to get a replacement certificate from UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) if you became a British citizen prior to October 1986. You can search the National Archives and order a certified copy for a:

  • registration certificate issued between 1 January 1949 and 30 September 1986
  • naturalisation certificate issued between 1 January 1844 and 30 September 1986

The initial search is free. The fee for a standard copy depends on the number of pages in the certificate and the format you require. Certified copies cost £27.15, plus postage and packing. Standard copies take up to 24 working days to dispatch and certified copies take up to 16 working days to dispatch. 

How to correct mistakes on a naturalisation certificate

To correct a mistake on your naturalisation application, you must download and complete an application to correct a registration or naturalisation certificate. You will need to send your application form and original certificate to 

Department 201


The Capital

New Hall Place


L3 9PP

You must need to pay a £250 fee if the mistake on your certificate was your fault. UKVI will send you a letter telling you if you need to pay.

How can we help

For expert advice or assistance, feel free to contact a member of our team at +442087575751 or use our contact form to get in touch with us. 

Frequently asked questions

Can I apply for a British passport without a naturalisation certificate?

You will need a naturalisation certificate to prove that you are a British Citizen to apply for a British passport.

Is a certificate of naturalization the same as citizenship UK?

A certificate of naturalisation constitutes legal evidence of your acquisition of British Citizenship.

How do I find my British naturalisation certificate number?

The Certificate Number is shown at the bottom of the naturalisation certificate.

What Our Clients Say

Request a FREE assessment from our experts

Receive your assessment via:

Privacy Policy