SET M Application Documents 

by | Feb 24, 2023 | Indefinite Leave to Remain, Spouse Visa, Spouse Visa Extension, UK Immigration

Individuals in a relationship with a British citizen or a settled person who intend to settle in the UK may consider applying for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) as a partner. The ILR status enables individuals to stay indefinitely in the UK without any time restrictions and is obtained by submitting a completed SET M application form. This post aims to provide guidance on the supporting documents required for a successful UK SET M application form for Spouse ILR.

To qualify for the Spouse ILR requirements under the Immigration Rules, you must prove that you have a genuine and subsisting relationship with a British citizen or a settled person. You must have continuously resided in the UK for at least five years on a partner visa and have not spent more than 180 days outside the UK in any 12 months. Additionally, you must not have breached any immigration laws or visa conditions during this time.

In addition to the residency requirements, you must also meet other eligibility criteria, such as demonstrating your knowledge of the English language to a required level, passing the Life in the UK test, and meeting the financial and accommodation requirements.

Supporting evidence for Application Form SET M

To prove that you satisfy the ILR criteria, you must provide specific documents to support your SET M application. Depending on your situation, some of the documents which you will need to provide include:

Proof of identity

You must provide a valid passport or travel document that shows your current immigration status in the UK. You must be in the UK at the time of application. You will also need to provide your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP), which will confirm your current visa status, including the validity period of your visa.

Proof of partner’s residency status

Your partner will need to provide proof of their residency status, and this could be through their current passport or travel documents.

Marriage certificate or civil partnership certificate

You must provide a copy of your marriage certificate or civil partnership certificate to show that you are legally married or in a civil partnership with your UK partner. You may also provide evidence of any children you have together. Evidence for children will include their birth certificates.

Evidence of cohabitation & residence

At the date of application, you must prove that you have completed a continuous period of residence of at least 5 years (60 months). This evidence can include utility bills, tenancy agreements, joint bank statements, or official letters addressed to both of you at the same address. In addition, you will need to show that you have adequate accommodation for yourself and any dependents, and that it meets the UK government’s standards for accommodation.

For assistance with your SET M Application Form process, contact our professional and experienced immigration team at 02087575751 or use our contact form.

Financial evidence

You must show that you meet the financial requirements set out under Appendix FM of the Immigration Rules, which may vary depending on your circumstances. The minimum salary threshold will increase for every dependent child you have who is not a British citizen or with UK-settled status.

If you do not have any dependents, you must prove an income of at least £18,600 per annum. If you have one child dependent, the minimum income requirement increases to £22,400. For each additional child, the requirement increases by £2400. You must prove that you and your partner can financially support yourselves without relying on public funds. 

This evidence required for the Set M application form will depend on how you meet the minimum income requirement; this can generally be met with income from employment, self-employment, non-employment income such as property rental, pension income or cash savings.

Evidence of English language proficiency

Unless exempt from the English language requirement, you must provide evidence of your English language proficiency for settlement in the UK. This will include a speaking and listening qualification in English at B1 level or above (from the list of recognised qualifications on the government website), having a degree that was either taught or researched in English or by being a national of an English-speaking country. 

Life in the UK test 

You must pass the Life in the UK test, which tests your knowledge of British history, culture, and society. You must provide a certificate of passing the test with your application or a pass reference number for the SET M application form.

Medical and police certificates

In some cases, you may need to provide medical or police clearance certificates to show that you do not have any criminal convictions.

It is important to note that the specific documents required may vary depending on your circumstances and the requirements set out by the Home Office UKVI. If you are unsure about any of the requirements or need help with your application, it is advisable to seek professional advice from an immigration adviser who can provide expert guidance and support to help you navigate the application process.

How can we help

At Whytecroft Ford, we understand that applying for Indefinite Leave to Remain as a Partner in the UK can be a complex and daunting process. That’s why we offer a range of services to help you navigate the application process and increase your chances of success. Our experienced immigration advisers can provide expert guidance and support with the following:

  • Assessing your eligibility for Indefinite Leave to Remain as a Partner in the UK
  • Reviewing and organizing your supporting documents to ensure they meet the UKVI’s requirements
  • Preparing and submitting your application on your behalf
  • Providing representation and support throughout the application process

We understand that every case is unique and offer personalized advice and support tailored to your circumstances. Our team is committed to providing high customer service with clear communication and transparent pricing. If you need help with your SET M application process, contact Whytecroft Ford today to schedule a consultation with one of our experienced immigration advisers at 02087575751 or use our contact form.

Frequently asked questions

How long do I need to be in the UK before I can apply for ILR as a spouse or partner?

You need to be in the UK for at least 5 years on a spouse or partner visa before you can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain.

What are the eligibility requirements for ILR as a spouse or partner?

To be eligible for ILR as a spouse or partner, you must have lived in the UK for at least 5 years on a spouse or partner visa, have passed the Life in the UK test, meet the English language requirements, and not have any criminal convictions or immigration violations.

How do I apply for ILR as a spouse or partner?

You can apply for ILR as a spouse or partner online on the UK government’s website. You must create an account, fill in the application form, pay the fee, and provide supporting documents.

How soon can I apply for ILR using Set M?

You can apply within 28 days before the expiration of your current leave to remain. 

When can I apply for British Citizenship?

If you are married to a British national, you may qualify for British Citizenship by Naturalisation as soon as you acquire ILR status, otherwise you must hold ILR status for at least 12 months.

What Our Clients Say

Request a FREE assessment from our experts

Receive your assessment via:

Privacy Policy