Skilled Worker Partner and Child Dependant Visa 

by | Apr 29, 2023 | UK Immigration, Work Visa

In this post, we discuss the process of applying for as a partner or a child of person with a skilled worker visa in the UK. We discuss the requirements, documents, process and fees. 

Skilled Worker Dependant partner 

For partners to be eligible for the Skilled Worker Dependent visa, they must be at least 18 years old at the time of application and meet one of the following requirements:

  • Married to the Skilled Worker
  • In a civil partnership with the Skilled Worker
  • Have cohabited with the Skilled Worker for at least two years prior to the application date. This two-year period should ideally have been immediately before the application date, although there may be exceptions, such as cases where the couple lives separately due to work or caring responsibilities. The Home Office retains the right to seek an interview to verify the genuineness of the relationship in case of any doubts.

Skilled Worker Dependant child 

For any dependant child applying:

  • both of the child parents must either be lawfully present (other than as a visitor) in the UK, or being granted permission to enter or permission to stay (other than as a visitor) at the same time as the applicant; or
  • one parent must be lawfully present (other than as a visitor) in the UK and the other is being granted permission to enter or permission to stay (other than as a visitor) at the same time as the applicant, unless:
    • The main applicant is the applicant’s sole surviving parent; or
    • The main applicant is the parent that has and has had sole responsibility for the applicant’s upbringing; or
    • there are serious or compelling family or other considerations which would make it desirable not to refuse the application and suitable arrangements have been made in the UK for the applicant’s care.

A dependant child application will be refused if these requirements are not met. If you have any concerns about the arrangements for both parents to be lawfully present in the UK please discuss this with SIT. 

All arrangements for children’s care and accommodation in the UK must comply with relevant UK legislation and regulations. 

Proving your relationship

Your dependent partner or child can be your spouse, civil partner, unmarried partner, or child under the age of 18. If your child is over 18 but already in the UK as your dependent, they may still apply. When applying, you must provide evidence of your relationship, such as proof of civil partnership or marriage recognized in the UK, or proof of a 2-year relationship if you have been living together.

To discuss your Skilled Worker Dependant visa application with an experienced immigration adviser, contact our team at +442087575751 or use our contact form.

Financial requirement for a dependent partner or child of a Skilled Worker 

Your partner and children must have enough money to support themselves while they are in the UK. The amount of money required for a partner is £285, for one child is £315, and for each additional child is £200. 

For instance, to bring your partner and one child with you, you would need to have £600 (£285 for your partner and £315 for your child), and you would need to have £1,270 available to support yourself for your own application. 

You, your partner, or child will need to have had the money available for at least 28 days in a row, with day 28 being within 31 days of you or them applying for the visa. You may need to show proof of this unless you have been in the UK with a valid visa for at least 12 months or your employer can cover your family’s costs during your first month in the UK.

Applying from inside the UK

If you extend or switch your visa, your partner or child’s current visa will still be valid until its original end date. An applicant who is applying for permission to stay as a dependent partner or dependant child of a skilled worker must be in the UK on the date of applying and must not be in the UK as a visitor, short term student, a parent of a child student, a seasonal worker or a domestic worker in a private household.

Skilled Worker Dependant visa documents 

  • A valid passport
  • Medical certificate confirming that they are free from Tuberculosis (TB) (if applicable)
  • Official record of any criminal convictions (if applicable)
  • Marriage or Civil Partnership Certificate (for married/civil partners)
  • Evidence of the relationship to the main applicant (for those who are not married or in a civil partnership) to demonstrate they are cohabiting and in a relationship akin to marriage for at least 2 years
  • Birth Certificate (for children under the age of 18);
  • Additional evidence for children over the age of 16 to evidence they are not living an independent life.

Skilled Worker Dependant fees

If you’re applying from outside the UK, the standard fee depends on whether you’ll be in the UK for:

  • up to 3 years – £625 per person
  • more than 3 years – £1,235 per person

If you’re applying from inside the UK to extend, switch or update your visa, the standard fee depends on whether you’ll be in the UK for:

  • up to 3 years – £719 per person
  • more than 3 years – £1,423 per person

If your job is on the shortage occupation list

You and your family will pay a lower application fee if your job is on the shortage occupation list.

The fee for each person applying is:

  • £479 if you’re staying for up to 3 years
  • £943 if you’re staying for more than 3 years

The fee is the same whether you’re applying from inside or outside the UK.

Skilled Worker Dependant ILR 

Dependents of Skilled Workers are eligible to apply for settlement in the UK after completing 5 years of continuous residence on this route. However, the Skilled Worker must fulfill certain conditions at the point of settlement application. Specifically, they must be applying for settlement at the same time as the dependent and must have already been granted settlement in the UK while holding permission as a Skilled Worker. Alternatively, they may have been granted settlement while holding permission as a Skilled Worker and subsequently become a British citizen.

Dependents between the ages of 18 and 65 must also meet the English Language and Life in the UK requirements. For further details on settlement as a Skilled Worker Dependent, please refer to our article here.

How can we help

At Whyecroft Ford, we understand that applying for a Skilled Worker Dependant visa can be a complex and daunting process. That’s why we offer comprehensive support to help you navigate the application process with ease.

Our team can provide ongoing support throughout the application process, including answering any questions or concerns you may have and keeping you informed of any updates or changes to the visa application process.

To discuss your Skilled Worker Dependant visa application with an experience immigration adviser, contact our team at +442087575751 or use our contact form

Frequently asked questions

Can Skilled Worker Visa Dependants work?

Skilled Worker Dependants can work, except as a sportsperson or coach.

Are Dependants allowed to study?

Skilled Worker Dependants can study. 

What is the processing time for a Skilled Worker Dependant visa application?

According to the current information available on the website, visa applications from outside the UK typically have an average processing time of 3 weeks from the date of biometric data submission, whereas applications made within the UK may take up to 8 weeks for a decision to be reached.

What Our Clients Say

Request a FREE assessment from our experts

Receive your assessment via:

Privacy Policy

Skilled Worker Visa 2024

Skilled Worker Visa Requirements 2024

The Skilled Worker Visa offers a route for international professionals seeking employment in the UK. Replacing the Tier 2 visa, it aims to attract...