Skilled Worker Visa Application FAQs

by | Jan 24, 2023 | Skilled Worker, UK Immigration

This post will answer some of the most frequently asked questions about the UK Skilled Worker Visa application process. Whether you’re a skilled worker looking to relocate to the UK or an employer looking to sponsor a worker, this post will provide valuable information to help you navigate the application process. 

Here are the most frequently asked questions about the UK Skilled Worker Visa:

What is the UK Skilled Worker Visa?

This visa category allows individuals with certain skills and qualifications to work in the UK for a UK employer.

What are the eligibility criteria for the UK Skilled Worker Visa?

To be eligible for the UK Skilled Worker Visa, you must have a job offer from a UK employer, be able to speak English at the required level, and score enough points on the UK Points-Based System.

How long is the UK Skilled Worker Visa valid?

The UK Skilled Worker Visa is valid for up to 5 years, after which you can apply to extend or settle permanently in the UK.

How much does it cost to apply for the UK Skilled Worker Visa?

The application cost varies depending on the type of visa but typically ranges from £610-£1,408 for a 5-year visa.

For assistance with your Skilled Worker Visa application process, contact our team at 0208 757 5751 or use our contact form.

Can I bring my family with me to the UK on a Skilled Worker Visa?

Your family members (spouse, civil partner, and dependent children) can apply to come with you or join you later on the UK Skilled Worker Visa.

Can I apply for the UK Skilled Worker Visa if I am self-employed?

No, the UK Skilled Worker Visa is only available to those with a job offer from a UK employer.

Can I switch to the Skilled Worker Visa from another visa category?

Yes, if you are in the UK on a valid visa, you can switch to a Skilled Worker Visa, depending on your circumstances and qualifications.

Can I have two CoS at the same time?

If you already have a CoS that has been issued by another employer, you will not be able to have another CoS as the Home Office system will only allow one CoS to be assigned to you at any given time. 

What if I do not use my CoS before the expiry date?

If you do not use your CoS before the expiry date, you will require a new CoS.

Can I apply for my CoS if my current passport is due to expire?

If you are applying from outside of the UK, you need to ensure your passport is valid for more than six months so you can travel after your visa has been granted.

How long should I request a Cos for?

A CoS can only be issued for the length of your training contract and only for a maximum of 5 years at a time. You will need to apply to extend your visa when it is due to expire.

After I’ve received my CoS what should I do?

You should check your details on the CoS before making your application to the Home Office; any errors need to be amended before making your application.

Do I have to provide evidence of my criminal records?

The Home Office require those applying to come to the UK under the Skilled Worker route as doctors and dentists in training, and their adult dependants, to produce a criminal record certificate from any country in which they have been resident for 12 months or more, consecutively or cumulatively, in the previous ten years, aged 18 or over. 

How long will it take for me to receive an outcome on my application?

The Home Office publish their service standard processing times, depending on which application and route you have taken. For up-to-date information, please visit – Visa decision waiting times: applications outside the UK

What should I do once I receive my new Biometric Resident Permit (BRP)? 

You should check all the details on your BRP to ensure they are correct. If you find a problem with your BRP when it arrives, you must report it within ten days, otherwise, you may have to apply and pay for a replacement for your BRP.

When can I apply for my Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR)?

Skilled workers can usually apply for indefinite leave to remain after five years of continuous residence in the UK. 

When can I apply for British Citizenship?

Skilled workers can apply for British Citizenship by Naturalisation after holding ILR for at least 12 months.

How can we help 

At Whytecroft Ford, we understand that the visa application process can be complex and overwhelming. That’s why we are dedicated to providing comprehensive and personalized support to help you navigate the process and achieve your goals.

Our team of experienced professionals thoroughly understand UK immigration laws and regulations, and we are equipped to handle all types of Skilled Worker Visa applications. We can provide guidance on eligibility requirements, assist with document preparation, and represent you throughout the application process.

We offer a range of services to meet your specific needs, including:

  • Initial consultation to assess your eligibility and provide guidance on the application process
  • Preparation of all required documents and forms
  • Representation in front of the Home Office and other relevant authorities
  • Regular updates on the status of your application

In addition, we understand the importance of timely and effective communication, which is why we will keep you informed and respond promptly to any questions or concerns you may have.

If you’re looking to apply for a UK Skilled Worker Visa or have any questions about the process, please don’t hesitate to contact us. Our team is here to help you achieve your goals and make your visa application successful.

Contact our team at +44 208 757 5751 or use our contact form

What Our Clients Say

Request a FREE assessment from our experts

Receive your assessment via:

Privacy Policy