UK Civil Partnership Visa

by | Feb 7, 2023 | Partner & Family Visa, UK Immigration

The UK Civil Partnership Visa allows individuals in a recognised civil partnership to reside and work in the UK with their partner. The visa provides a pathway to acquiring indefinite leave to remain and, ultimately, British citizenship. This post outlines the essential requirements, necessary documentation, fees involved, and the step-by-step application process for the UK Civil Partnership Visa.

To qualify for a UK Civil Partner Visa, your partner must either be a British Citizen, have indefinite leave to remain in the UK or hold pre-settled status under Appendix EU. You can also qualify under this route if your British partner is returning to the UK with you at the same time.

To apply for a UK civil partnership visa, you must meet the following requirements:

  • You and your civil partner must be at least 18 years old
  • You must have met in person 
  • You must be in a civil partnership recognised by UK law
  • You must be able to prove that your relationship is genuine and subsisting
  • You and your partner must intend to live together permanently in the UK
  • You must satisfy the financial requirement
  • You must meet the English language requirement by passing an approved English language test or having a degree taught in English
  • You must meet the accommodation requirement 
  • You must not be in the UK illegally or have overstayed your visa.

The eligibility criteria for the Civil Partnership Visa may vary based on individual circumstances.

To discuss your Civil Partner Visa with an expert immigration adviser, please call our team at 0208 757 5751 or use our contact form.

The Genuine Relationship Requirement 

The genuine relationship requirement is an important eligibility criterion for a UK civil partnership visa. 

This requirement is in place to ensure that your relationship is genuine and subsisting and that you and your partner are committed to living together permanently in the UK.

To meet the genuine relationship requirement, you must provide evidence of your relationship, such as photographs, correspondence, and joint documents. This evidence should show that you have a strong bond and are committed to each other. To support your application and demonstrate a genuine relationship, consider providing the following evidence:

  • Pictures of you and your partner at various events and occasions
  • Communication records between you and your partner, including letters, emails, and text messages
  • Joint financial records, such as bank statements, utility bills, and insurance documents
  • Travel records, including tickets and itineraries that indicate shared trips
  • Evidence of shared interests and activities, such as membership cards or tickets to events
  • It is worth noting that the evaluation of a genuine relationship is subjective and may vary on a case-by-case basis. The more comprehensive evidence you can provide, your application will likely be stronger.

Overall, it is essential to carefully review the genuine relationship requirement and ensure you have the evidence to support your application for a UK civil partnership visa. Demonstrating that your relationship is genuine and subsisting may increase your chances of a successful application.

Financial Requirement 

The financial requirement for a UK civil partnership visa is a key eligibility criterion that must be met to apply for this visa successfully. The financial requirement is in place to ensure that you and your partner have enough money to support yourselves without relying on public funds while you are in the UK.

To meet the financial requirement, you must show that you have a certain amount of money in your bank account or that you have a regular income from employment, self-employment, or other permitted sources. The amount of money you need to show will depend on your circumstances; you will usually need to prove a minimum income of £18,600 per year if you do not have any dependents.


If you are applying for a UK civil partnership visa, you may also be able to bring certain family members with you as dependents. These family members are “dependants” and include children who are not married and do not lead an independent life.

To bring dependants to the UK, you must show that you can financially support them and have suitable accommodation for all of you. If your dependents are not British citizens or settled in the UK, they must also pass a tuberculosis test, if required.

UK Civil Partnership Visa Documents

To apply for a UK civil partnership visa, you will need to provide the following documents:

  • A valid passport or travel document
  • Proof of your civil partnership, such as a civil partnership certificate or registration document
  • Relationship evidence
  • Evidence of your financial and accommodation arrangements in the UK, such as bank statements, payslips, and a letter from your landlord
  • Evidence of your English language ability, such as an English language test certificate or a degree taught in English
  • A tuberculosis test certificate, if required
  • UK Civil Partnership Visa Fees

The current fee for a UK civil partnership visa is £1,523. This fee does not include the cost of the Immigration Health Surcharge, which gives you access to the National Health Service (NHS) in the UK.

UK Civil Partnership Visa Application Process

To apply for a UK civil partnership visa, follow these steps:

  • Make sure you meet the eligibility requirements for a UK civil partnership visa
  • Gather the required documents
  • Fill out the online visa application form and upload your documents
  • Pay the visa fee
  • Book an appointment at a visa application center to have your biometric information (fingerprints and photograph) taken.
  • Wait for a decision on your application.
  • If your application is refused, you may be able to appeal the decision or reapply.

UK Civil Partnership Visa Duration

If your UK civil partnership visa is approved, it will be valid for 33 months. You can live and work in the UK with your partner during this time. You will need to apply to extend your visa for another 30 months. After 60 months of continuous residence, you can apply for indefinite leave to remain and, ultimately, British Citizenship

The UK civil partnership visa is a valuable option for individuals in a civil partnership recognized by UK law who want to live and work in the UK with their partner. By meeting the requirements, gathering the necessary documents, paying the fees, and following the application process, you can apply for this visa and begin your life together in the UK. 

By understanding the process and preparing all the necessary documents, you can increase your chances of a successful application and start your life in the UK.

How can we help 

At Whytecroft Ford, we are dedicated to providing comprehensive and personalised immigration services to help our clients achieve their goals. Our experienced team and support staff are here to assist you in navigating the complex immigration process and guide you every step of the way. Whether you seek to obtain a visa, make a citizenship application, or resolve any immigration-related issues, we have the expertise and resources to help.

We understand that each client has unique needs and circumstances, so we take a tailored approach to each case. Our goal is to provide personalised and efficient service while ensuring that you are fully informed and prepared throughout the process.

If you have any questions or would like to schedule a consultation, please do not hesitate to call us at 0208 757 5751 or use our contact form

Frequently asked questions 

Can I get a visa with a civil partnership UK?

You can apply for a partner visa under Appendix FM if your civil partnership is recognised under UK law.

How long does it take to get a civil partnership visa UK?

The Home Office service standard for deciding a Civil Partner Visa application submitted outside the UK is 12 weeks (3 months); presently, this is 24 weeks.

Who qualifies for a civil partnership?

A civil partnership is a legal relationship which can be registered by two people who aren’t related to each other. Civil partnerships are available to both same-sex couples and opposite-sex couples. Registering a civil partnership will give your relationship legal recognition.

What Our Clients Say

Request a FREE assessment from our experts

Receive your assessment via:

Privacy Policy