UK Proposed Civil Partner Application

by | Feb 17, 2023 | Fiancé Visa, UK Immigration

The Proposed Civil Partner or Fiance visa is a UK visa category that allows non-British partners to enter the country to enter into a civil partnership or marry their UK-based partner within six months of their arrival. Once married, the applicant can apply within the UK to extend their stay by applying for further leave to remain as a partner.

It’s important to note that a Proposed Civil Partner Visa application must be submitted outside the UK. This means that the applicant must apply for the visa in their home country or the country where they are legally residing.

The application process for a Proposed Civil Partner Visa can be complex, and it’s recommended to seek the guidance of an immigration adviser to ensure that the application is prepared thoroughly and accurately. With the help of an adviser, applicants can improve their chances of a successful outcome and avoid the disappointment and expense of a visa refusal.

This post explores the requirements for a UK Proposed Civil partner or Fiance immigration category. 

Proposed Civil Partner UK Visa Application Requirements 

For a successful visa application, you must satisfy the Home Office UKVI that you meet the following criteria:

  • You are both over the age of 18
  • You have met in person
  • You are both free to marry or enter into a civil partnership
  • Your relationship is genuine, and you intend to live together permanently in the UK
  • Any previous relationships have broken down permanently
  • You intend to marry within six months of your arrival in the UK
  • Your partner is a British national, holds indefinite leave to remain or limited leave to remain under Appendix EU
  • You will be adequately maintained during your stay in the UK without accessing public funds
  • There is adequate accommodation for you and your partner
  • You can prove your knowledge of English by passing an approved English language test at CEFR level A1 in speaking and listening.

To discuss your Proposed Civil Partner UK visa application, call our experienced team at +44 208 757 5751 or use our contact form.

Financial Requirements for a Proposed Civil Partner UK Visa

The financial requirement is a crucial component of a UK Proposed Civil Partner Visa application. To satisfy this requirement, an applicant must demonstrate an annual income before tax of at least £18,600 per annum. However, if the applicant is bringing children to the UK, they must show an additional £3,800 for the first child and an extra £2,400 for each additional child.

There are several ways to meet the financial requirement, such as employment or self-employment wages, state or private pension income, cash savings, or non-employment income, such as rental payments or investment or share income.

It is essential to show that the applicant can be financially sustained in the UK without relying on public funds. Meeting the financial requirement is necessary when applying to enter the UK as a proposed civil partner, extending stay as a civil partner, and applying for indefinite leave to remain as a partner.

UK Proposed Civil Partner Application Documents

To support your proposed civil partner visa application, there are several documents that you can provide as evidence. These may include statements or letters from both the sponsor and applicant outlining the development of their relationship, their feelings for each other, and their future plans. You may also provide evidence of accommodation, such as a mortgage statement or lease agreement, wedding plans documentation, and venue bookings.

Additionally, letters from family and friends who are aware of the relationship, evidence that you meet the financial requirement criteria, and proof of continuing contact, such as emails and phone bills, can be provided as supporting documents. Any other sensible evidence that demonstrates your relationship and intention to marry in the UK, such as photographs, can also be submitted.

Proposed Civil Partner Visa Conditions

To enter the UK, applicants may apply for a six-month initial period under the Proposed Civil Partner or Fiance visa category. Once married or entered into a civil partnership, they may apply to switch to the Spouse or Civil Partner category from within the UK. 

If the applicant cannot get married or enter into a civil partnership within six months of their arrival, they may apply to extend their stay for an additional six months if they have a valid reason and can provide evidence of their upcoming ceremony.

The applicant is not permitted to work during their time in the UK as a Fiance or Proposed Civil Partner. However, the applicant will gain the right to work upon switching to the Spouse or Civil Partner category.

How can we help

At Whytecroft Ford, we understand that the Proposed Civil Partnership visa process can be complex and daunting. That is why we offer expert guidance and assistance to ensure that your application is prepared to the highest standard and that you have the best possible chance of a successful outcome.

An experienced immigration adviser from our team will provide you with clear and comprehensive advice tailored to your circumstances. We will assist you with all aspects of your application, from the initial eligibility assessment to submitting your application and beyond.

We will work with you to prepare a comprehensive application package, including all of the necessary supporting documents, to demonstrate that you meet the requirements set out by the Home Office UKVI. Our team will also ensure that your application is submitted within the specified timeframe and in accordance with the relevant procedures and guidelines.

To discuss your Proposed Civil Partner Visa with us, please call +44 208 757 5751 or use our contact form.

Frequently asked questions 

What is the adequate accommodation requirement?

You must demonstrate that there will be adequate accommodation for you and your family and that you can maintain yourselves and any dependents without the support of UK public funds. You must prove that your intended accommodation is not overcrowded. At least one bedroom must be exclusively available for yourself and your proposed civil partner.

Is time spent on the Proposed Civil Partner route counted towards settlement?

Time spent under this immigration category cannot be included towards the residence requirements for indefinite leave to remain in the UK.

How to apply for a proposed civil partner visa?

The process of applying for a proposed civil partner visa involves completing an online application form and ensuring that all required supporting documents are provided in accordance with the Home Office UKVI requirements. Once the application is submitted, biometric information must be provided at an authorised visa centre outside the UK. The Home Office UKVI will process the application and inform you of their decision.

How do we form a civil partnership in the UK?

You must give your notice together at a register office in the district where at least one of you lives. You must sign a legal statement at your local register office to say you intend to get married or form a civil partnership. This is known as ‘giving notice’. You usually need to make an appointment to give notice at your local register office. You must give notice at least 29 days before your ceremony.

What Our Clients Say

Request a FREE assessment from our experts

Receive your assessment via:

Privacy Policy