Unmarried Partner Visa FAQs

by | Aug 18, 2023 | UK Immigration, UK Settlement, Uncategorized, Unmarried Partner Visa

Applying for a UK Unmarried Partner Visa can be a complex and overwhelming process, especially when faced with the intricacies of immigration rules and requirements. To assist you in navigating this journey, we have compiled a list of frequently asked questions about the UK Unmarried Partner Visa application process, aiming to provide clarity and guidance.

1. What is a UK Unmarried Partner Visa?

The UK Unmarried Partner Visa, also known as the UK De Facto Visa, is designed for individuals who wish to join their unmarried partner in the United Kingdom. This visa allows unmarried partners of British citizens or individuals with settled status to live, work, and study in the UK for an extended period.

2. Who is eligible to apply for a UK Unmarried Partner Visa?

To be eligible for a UK Unmarried Partner Visa, certain conditions must be met:

  • You must be in a genuine and subsisting relationship similar to marriage, with a British citizen or a person with settled status in the UK.
  • You must have cohabited with your partner for a period of at least 2 years
  • Both you and your partner must be at least 18 years old.
  • You must intend to live together in the UK permanently.
  • You must meet the financial requirement, demonstrating that you can financially support yourselves without relying on public funds.

3. How do I prove that our relationship is genuine?

Proving the authenticity of your relationship is a crucial aspect of the application process. Providing evidence such as joint financial commitments, shared living arrangements, correspondence addressed to both partners, and photographs together can help establish the genuineness of your relationship.

4. What documents are required for the application?

The list of required documents can vary, but typically includes:

  • Passport and travel documents
  • Proof of relationship (photos, correspondence, joint financial commitments)
  • Evidence of meeting the financial requirement
  • Proof of accommodation in the UK
  • Tuberculosis (TB) test results (for certain countries)
  • English language proficiency test results (if applicable)

5. How do I meet the financial requirement?

You must demonstrate that you and your partner meet the minimum income threshold to support yourselves without recourse to public funds. This requirement can be met through various means, such as employment income, self-employment earnings, savings, and pension income. 

6. Do I need to take an English language test?

If you are not a national of a majority English-speaking country or do not hold a degree taught in English, you will likely need to take an approved English language proficiency test to demonstrate your language skills.

7. Can I work in the UK on an Unmarried Partner Visa?

Yes, the UK Unmarried Partner Visa grants you the right to work in the UK without restrictions, allowing you to seek employment or engage in self-employment.

8. How long does the visa application process take?

The processing time for a UK Unmarried Partner Visa can vary depending on various factors, including the volume of applications and your individual circumstances. On average, the processing time can take up to 24 weeks. You may opt for Priority Visa services to expedite the processing time to 30 days, at an additional cost and depending on availability. 

9. Can I extend my Unmarried Partner Visa?

Yes, you can apply to extend your Unmarried Partner Visa before it expires. To be eligible for an extension, you must continue to meet the relationship and financial requirements.

10. Can I apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) through the Unmarried Partner Visa route?

Yes, after living in the UK on an Unmarried Partner Visa for a specified period (usually 5 years), you may be eligible to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain, which grants you permanent residence in the UK.

11. What if my relationship breaks down?

If your relationship breaks down during the probationary period, your immigration status could be affected. It’s advisable to seek legal advice to understand your options and how to proceed.

12. Can I switch to a Unmarried Partner Visa from within the UK?

In most cases, you can switch to a Unmarried Partner Visa from within the UK if you are already in the country on a different type of visa. However, there are specific requirements and conditions to meet for a successful switch.

Applying for a UK Unmarried Partner Visa requires careful preparation and attention to detail. The process involves proving the authenticity of your relationship, meeting financial requirements, and providing the necessary documentation.

How can we help

To discuss your unmarried partner visa application with an experienced adviser from our team, call us on 0208 757 5751 or use our contact form

Request a FREE assessment from our experts

Receive your assessment via:

Privacy Policy

UK Partner Visa Application Guide

UK Partner Visa Application

If you're planning to join your partner in the United Kingdom, the UK Partner Visa is the key to making your dreams a reality. Whether you're...

High Potential Individual Visa FAQs

If you're a recent graduate from a top global university looking to work or explore job opportunities in the United Kingdom, the High Potential...
UK Visa fee changes 2023

Immigration fee changes in 2023

[Updated on 19 September 2023] In a significant development, the UK government has recently unveiled a series of impending changes that will impact...
Graduate Visa FAQs

UK Graduate Visa FAQs

If you're a student considering studying in the United Kingdom or have recently graduated from a UK institution, the UK Graduate Visa might be of...