Meeting the UK Partner Visa Financial Requirement

by | Nov 3, 2023 | Fiancé Visa, Partner & Family Visa, Spouse Visa, UK Immigration, Unmarried Partner Visa

If you are planning to join your partner who resides in the UK, you may be considering applying for a UK Partner Visa. This visa allows you to join with your loved one in the UK and build a life together. A ‘partner’ may include an applicant’s fiancé or fiancée, proposed civil partner, spouse, civil partner, or unmarried partner. One of the key aspects of this visa application is the financial requirement. In this blog post, we will discuss the UK Partner Visa financial requirement and explore different ways applicants can demonstrate their financial eligibility, through income and savings. 

How to Satisfy the UK Partner Visa Financial Requirement

The financial requirement is often referred to as the minimum income requirement. Under Appendix FM of the Immigration Rules, this requirement stipulates that you must have a combined annual income with your partner of at least £18,600. 

The financial requirement does not apply to children who are British or settled in the UK. However, an additional gross annual income of £3,800 is required for the first child sponsored in addition to the partner and an additional £2,400 for each further child. The level of the financial requirement will therefore be: 

  • partner with no children or no children who are subject to the income requirement – £18,600 
  • 1 child in addition to the partner – £22,400
  • 2 children in addition to the partner – £24,800
  • 3 children in addition to the partner – £27,200 

Applicants must fulfil the requirements regarding the allowed sources of income or savings, the time periods and combinations of sources they can rely on, and provide the necessary evidence for each permitted source used to meet the requirement.

When applying for a Partner Visa, you and your partner can use various types of income as proof to meet the financial requirements. The documentation required will depend on the applicant’s circumstances.

Sources of meeting the financial requirement

Income from Employment

If the applicant’s partner (or the applicant, if working legally in the UK) has been with the same employer for at least 6 months before applying, they can use their employment income to meet the Partner Visa financial requirement. This salary must have consistently equalled or exceeded the required level in the 6 months leading up to the application.

Income from employment can be demonstrated if the applicant’s partner (or the applicant) is employed, whether salaried or non-salaried, at the time of application but hasn’t been with the same employer for at least 6 months or hasn’t maintained the necessary income level. It’s suitable for those who have been with their current employer for less than 6 months or have variable income.

To meet the document requirements, applicants should provide payslips for the last six months if employed for at least half a year. If your employment duration with your current employer is less than six months, you’ll need to furnish a payslip covering a minimum of twelve months, along with your P60 form. Additionally, you’ll need a letter from your employer that confirms your employment, annual gross salary, and other essential details.

Income from Self-Employment

If the applicant’s partner (or the applicant themselves with permission to work in the UK) is self-employed or works as a director or employee of a specified limited company in the UK at the time of the application, they have two options for meeting the UK Partner Visa financial requirement. They can either use their income from the last complete financial year or, alternatively, rely on an average of their income from the last two full financial years. This provides flexibility in demonstrating their financial eligibility.

When proving income as self-employed for the last financial year, you’ll need to provide an annual self-assessment tax return submitted to HMRC, a Statement of Account (SA300 or SA302), proof of registration as self-employed with HMRC along with your Unique Tax Reference Number (UTR). You should also show personal bank statements for the twelve-month period reflecting your self-employment income, audited accounts if required, unaudited accounts if not required, and a VAT certificate if your business turnover exceeds £79,000, along with planning permission/local planning authority consent or a franchise agreement if applicable.

If you’re demonstrating income as a Director of a Limited Company in the UK for the last full financial year, you’ll need to provide a Company Tax Return CT600 and evidence of filing with HMRC, evidence of registration with the Registrar of Companies at Companies House, annual accounts for the last financial year, corporate/business bank statements covering the twelve-month period, a current Appointment Report from Companies House, and a certificate of VAT registration and VAT return for the last full financial year if applicable. Proof of ownership or lease of business premises should also be included. 

Non-Employment Income (e.g., Property Rental or Dividend Income)

Non-employment income sources counted for the financial requirement include property rental, dividends from investments, interest from savings, maintenance payments from former partners (with family court permission), UK government allowances, payments from specific schemes, education grants, ongoing insurance, legal settlement payments, and royalty income. Unless stated otherwise, income received by the applicant or their partner in the 12 months before the application date can be used to meet the financial requirement.

When demonstrating Non-Employment Income, like Property Rental or Dividend Income, specific documentation is needed for each source. For Rental Income, include a copy of the property’s title deeds and provide personal bank statements reflecting rental income for the twelve months preceding your application.

For Dividend Income, ensure you have a certificate confirming ownership and detailing investment amounts. Additionally, include a portfolio report or a dividend voucher. Don’t forget to include personal bank statements covering the twelve months before your application.

If you’re relying on income received from a pension, you should supply official documentation from entities like the Department for Work and Pensions, overseas pension authorities, or your pension company. To support this, provide at least one personal bank statement within the twelve-month period before your application, demonstrating pension payments into your account.

Cash savings 

Cash savings exceeding £16,000 can be used to meet the financial requirement for a UK Partner Visa financial requirement. This amount is the threshold at which individuals generally become ineligible for income-related benefits.

These savings can be held by the applicant, the applicant’s partner, jointly, or by a child-dependent relative aged over 18. The savings must be maintained for at least six months before the application date and must be under the control of the same individual(s). They can be held in a UK bank account or abroad, with any foreign currency savings converted to GBP using

Cash savings can be derived from various legitimate sources, including irrevocable gifts from third parties. These gifted funds must be held for a continuous six-month period. A signed declaration is necessary to confirm the funds’ origin and assert that they are under the control of the applicant, their partner, or jointly.

Furthermore, cash savings may be combined with income from other categories, to fulfill the financial requirement. To rely solely on cash savings, with no other combined source(s) of income, £62,500 in cash savings is the required amount of cash savings. The formula to calculate the amount of cash savings required is as follows:

Minimum savings required + (financial requirement x period of leave granted in years) 

        (£16,000)   +   (£18,600 x 2.5)  =  £62,500

The financial requirement must also be demonstrated when applying for a Partner Visa Extension and Indefinite Leave to Remain stage. 

How can we help 

To discuss your UK Partner Visa application with an experienced adviser, please contact our professional team on +442087575751 or use our contact form

What Our Clients Say

Request a FREE assessment from our experts

Receive your assessment via:

Privacy Policy